WEBSITE: www.stepstomarrow.com

Jada Bascom, my grandaughter, was born with acute myeloid leukemia; she had a bone marrow transplant when she was 6 months old. Jada is in remission and living happily with her parents in Deer Park, WA.

In order to express our gratitude to the innumerable people it took to save Jada’s life and to support our family through this crisis we began the Jada Bascom Foundation. The foundation is sponsoring Steps To-Marrow, in which I, Jada’s grandmother, Jeana Moore, will be walking from Seattle to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to New York City, to raise awareness around the need for bone marrow donors and to recruit potential bone marrow donors for the National Bone Marrow Registry.

We hope that through our efforts many people will find their match just like Jada did.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Picking up this blog as I leave Leggett, CA and head for Laytonville, CA




Adele Anderson from Weott and Katey Ringle from Miranda, CA

Dear Friends, 1/15/10 Said good bye to Mike and Katey Ringle this morning. They have been great to let me make mileage without my pack, picking me up at the end of the day for a meal and a good nights sleep then dropping me back where I left off for the next days walk. This morning Katey took me all of the way to Leggett. I dropped my pack at Harriet Muir's house where I will be spending the night. Then Katey dropped me off to continue my walk in to Leggett.I can't believe it is less than 200 miles to San Francisco. I will be walking across the Golden Gate Bridge on Feb. 8th. We are planning a fundraiser and an opportunity to raise awareness for the need for bone marrow donors. Join Steps To-Marrow and walk across the Golden Gate Bridge with me. We are asking those who join in the walk to raise $100 each for the Jada Bascom Foundation. We are encouraging walkers to wear a sign to let folks know about joining the registry ie "Be the Match", "swab a cheek, save a life" "Join the National Bone Marrow Registry Today" We will meet on the north side of the bridge in the parking area at 10:00 am. If you are interested in joining me please send an email to jeanamoore@stepstomarrow.com or call 206 450-5770

2 comments:

  1. Jeana, I love your new blog. I hope your adventure is going smoothly. Inviting you home with us was one of the best, spur of the moment, decisions I've made. We so enjoyed getting to know you and helping you make contacts here in Eureka. I'd like to recommend that those of you out there, who live along Jeana's scheduled route, that you might like to call and introduce yourselves to Jeana prior to her arriving in your city. Take her to dinner, or invite her to stay with you, it will be a wonderful experience. Jeana, good luck, you are in our thoughts and prayers. I will call and check in soon.
    Love Kathy Blair
    P.S. We are coming right along with the plans for our bone marrow drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeana, I loved our day together. You have such a lively spirit of adventure and your dedication to finding and supporting the National Bone Marrow Registry is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your story and I wish you health and success.
    Love Lynn Atwood
    Eureka, CA

    ReplyDelete