WEBSITE: www.stepstomarrow.com

Jada Bascom, my grandaughter, was born with acute myeloid leukemia; she had a bone marrow transplant when she was 6 months old. Jada is in remission and living happily with her parents in Deer Park, WA.

In order to express our gratitude to the innumerable people it took to save Jada’s life and to support our family through this crisis we began the Jada Bascom Foundation. The foundation is sponsoring Steps To-Marrow, in which I, Jada’s grandmother, Jeana Moore, will be walking from Seattle to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to New York City, to raise awareness around the need for bone marrow donors and to recruit potential bone marrow donors for the National Bone Marrow Registry.

We hope that through our efforts many people will find their match just like Jada did.

Sunday, February 28, 2010


Back To San Francisco
Dear Friends, 2/22/10
This morning Rick drove me into Sunnyvale where he works. There I took CalTrain into San Carlos and met up with Magda Silva of the National Marrow Donor Program. Magda and I went to San Francisco to the Regency Grand Ballroom for a marrow donor drive with the Take Action Tour. http://takeactiontour.com/ We registered 46 potential donors with the Be The Match Registry. I love that we can recruit donors from so many different venues reaching out to a full range of diverse populations. Racial and ethnic heritage are very important factors when looking for a match for a bone marrow transplant. Patients are most likely to match someone of their own race or ethnicity. Today, there simply aren't enough registry members of diverse racial and ethnic heritage. Adding more diverse members increases the likelihood that all patients will find a life-saving match.
Members of these backgrounds are especially needed:
Black or African American
American Indian or Alaska Native
Asian, including South Asian
Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
Hispanic or Latino
Multiple race

Santa Cruz, CA
Dear Friends, 2/21/10
I walked from Watsonville to Salinas today, 17.9 miles! It rained and rained and rained. I was given shelter at a Mexican Restaurant in Prunedale. They welcomed me even though I was dripping puddles on the floor. They fed me and let me warm up and dry out before I continued on my way.
Rick and Fran picked me up in Salinas. We had a fabulous dinner with Rick's parents before returning to Santa Cruz. Rick is helping me to understand how to more effectively use facebook and twitter; how to send pictures to twitter, how to link facebook and twitter etc. Rick has also offered to volunteer to help the Jada Bascom Foundation with our website. Issa has been doing a very good job but can really use some help updating the site with photos, events, etc. We are so fortunate to have Rick's support.

Soquel, CA
Dear Friends, 2/20/10
I had the opportunity to join the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training annual Honoree Potluck this morning. They gave me time to share about the Steps To-Marrow project. I was warmly received and I felt a natural connection with the team. If you don't know about the Team in Training program you can learn more at: http://www.teamintraining.org/ It is a wonderful program that helps to raise money for research for Leukemia and Lymphoma and helps folks to stay healthy at the same time.
Following the potluck I walked from Soquel into Watsonville. A 15 mile walk. A beautiful 15 mile walk. Vicki picked up in Watsonville and drove me back to Santa Cruz where I am spending the night with Rick and Fran Castello. Rick and Fran are members of Team in Training and were at the honoree potluck this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment